Three Bean Salad
This recipe uses a very special kind of salt that mimics the flavor of hard boiled eggs. India Black mineral salt (also called Kala Namak, or Black Salt) is a finishing salt with a very high sulfur content. Using this salt instead of eggs keeps the recipe vegan as well as cholesterol free and lower in calories. You can of course use regular salt and one or two chopped boiled eggs if you prefer. India Black mineral salt can be found at multiple online venders including Amazon.com and spiceandtea.com.
Makes: 5 cups (10 servings)
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 10m
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can aduki beans (or black beans/green beens)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 small red onion)
- 1 cup chopped sweet gherkin pickles
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon India Black mineral salt
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans, garbanzo beans and aduki beans. Pour them into a large bowl.
- Stir in the celery, red onion, pickles.
- Add the INLINE-LINK-START href="../../../recipes/vegan-mayonnaise" target="_blank">mayonnaise INLINE-LINK-END and stir the mixture until well blended.
- Season to taste with India Black mineral salt. Because it is a finishing salt it tastes best if you put it on right before you eat it, otherwise it looses flavor if you leave it on for too long. If you are planning to make this dish ahead and refrigerate it, wait to add the salt until you are serving it. In fact the dish tastes better if you can refrigerate it for a few hours before serving but it’s not necessary.