Sweet Potato Leek Soup
This recipe makes 6 cups, most people will eat 2-3 cups of soup as a main course or 1 cup as an appetizer. If you end up with left-overs you can always add greek yogurt, refrigerate until cold and enjoy as a vichyssoise.
Makes: 6 cups
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 25m
- 2 leeks
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (roughly 1 large or 2 small)
Equipment: blender, 2.5 quart (or larger) saucepan
- Peel the sweet potato, then dice into bite-sized pieces. Place the pieces into a 2.5 quart (or larger) saucepan and set aside.
- Chop and wash leeks. Then add them to the saucepan. For detailed instructions on how to prepare leeks easily, see my post: INLINE-LINK-START title="How To: Chop and Wash Leeks" href="../../howtos/how-to-chop-and-wash-leeks" target="_blank">How To: Chop and Wash Leeks INLINE-LINK-END
- Add the vegetable stock to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down and simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).
- If you want this soup a bit chunky then remove some of the leeks and potatoes and set aside. Place the rest of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Add the removed leeks and potatoes back in and reheat to desired temperature.
- Garnish with freshly-ground black pepper and enjoy this hot, or cool and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.