Sungold Tomato Soup
The recipe really celebrates the deliciousness of homegrown Sungold tomatoes. If you have never grown them you should try! You can grow then from seed or starter plant. They are by far the easiest tomato I have ever grown and they produce a ton. Start by putting transplants deep into compost rich soil. Make sure they are evenly watered and that is about it. They will produce and produce and produce! We love these little cherry tomatoes so much that we stopped even trying to grow other kinds of cherry tomatoes so that we can have several Sungold plants instead. I recommend making this soup to accompany grilled cheese sandwiches. I made rosemary sourdough with sharp cheddar cheese and it was spectacular!
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation time: 20m
Cooking time: 20m
Total time: 1h
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 sprig fresh basil (I like to use lemon basil)
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups Sungold cherry tomatoes
- Vegetable stock (optional)
- Pick tomatoes!
- Preheat oven to 425ºF/220ºC
- Wash tomatoes then put them in a roasting dish or casserol and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until they start to burst and brown.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven and put them into a blender with the basil, oregano and thyme (no sticks, just leaves).
- Taste and decide if you want more herbs, salt or pepper, if it is hot enough, or if you want it thinner add some vegeatble stock. At this point I like to put the soup on the stovetop for about 10 minutes. It mellows out the herbs if they are too strong and it thickens the soup but it is not really necessary if you are happy with the way it tastes from the blender.
- Now make some grilled cheese sandwiches!