Spicy Lavash Pizza
Lavash is an Armenian flatbread than can be purchased in the bakery department of most grocery stores or Middle Eastern markets. The kind I usually get is rectangular, but my mom’s grocery store sells circular. It does not matter which shape you get or if they are a little different in texture, they will both cook about the same. Just make sure you get the soft kind not the crispy cracker type lavash. If your toaster oven is big enough to fit the lavash then use that instead of the oven. It saves you the time it takes to preheat the oven. However, if you are making more than one you might want to use the oven because only one will fit in the toaster oven at a time. One lavash pizza is one serving.
Makes: 1 pizza
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 12m
- 1 whole grain lavash
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- 1/2 cup fresh kale (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pasta sauce (I use Whole Foods 365 brand fat-free pasta sauce, only 5 calories per tablespoon)
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Place the lavash in the preheated oven for 1-2 minutes, just long enough to crisp it up. Make sure it does not burn.
- Remove from the oven and put it on a plate or cutting board. I usually use my fingers to pull it out of the oven, but you can use tongs or a spatula if you need to.
- Spread the pasta sauce evenly onto the lavash, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges un-sauced.
- Sprinkle the red pepper flakes and oregano evenly across the pasta sauce.
- Now sprinkle the spinach evenly across the pizza and top with cheese.
- Place the lavash pizza back into the oven for 5 minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Slice it with a knife or pizza cutter and enjoy it while it is hot!