Spicy Kidney Bean Hummus
This recipe and the Ginger-Lime Black Bean Hummus recipe both use 1/2 can of garbanzo beans. So make them at the same time and only open 1 can of garbanzos. Just like the other hummus recipes, this one requires either a powerful blender or a food processor. Be very careful using a regular blender, you could burn out the motor. You could even try using a stick blender if you have one. You just need something that will sufficiently mash the beans.
Makes: 1 1/2 cups
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 5m
- 1 can kidney beans (drained but not rinsed, reserve the liquid)
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans (1/2 can, drained but not rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (e.g. kosher salt)
Equipment: Vitamix or food processor
- Pour kidney beans and 2 tablespoons of the can liquid to the Vitamix/food processor. Reserve the rest of the liquid, you might use it later. Each can of beans is a little different so you may need a little more liquid to get the right consistency.
- Add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne, paprika and salt then puree on high until smooth.
- Test the mixture for consistency and taste it to see if it needs more salt. You want the consistency to be pretty thick but not so thick that you can not scoop it. Now is your chance to add more liquid if you think it needs it.
- Enjoy with sliced veggies like celery, zucchini, carrot and bell pepper or pita chips.