Smokey Sausage Soup
This mouthwatering stew can be made in one pot or in a slow cooker. This is one of the larger recipes that I make, but that is because it’s so delicious you could eat it several days in a row! If that is not your kind of thing you can also use it to feed a party, or freeze portions and enjoy it later. If making this GLUTEN-FREE double check that your sausages are gluten-free.
Makes: 6 - 10 servings
Preparation time: 20m
Cooking time: 20m
Total time: 1h
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 andouille sausages (these are smoked so they are pre-cooked)
- 1 package coleslaw mix
- 2 cups chopped chard or kale
- 2 large carrots (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 red-skinned potatoes (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 jar diced tomatoes (about 18 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups bone broth (or vegetable stock)
- 7 cups water (more or less)
Equipment: 6 qt slow cooker or large stock pot
- Slice the sausages into 1/2” rounds.
- Heat the avocado oil over medium then add the sausages and onion, stir frequently until the sausage is browned and the onion translucent (5-7min). Then add the garlic, sauté an additional minute.
- Now add the coleslaw mix, chard, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, oregano, bay leaf, salt and vegetable stock to your cooking vessel of choice. Then add the water. You may need to add a bit more or less, but 7 cups is a good starting point. Remember it is soup, it’s flexible.
- Stockpot: simmer on medium-low for 1 hour. Slow cook: high 4-5 hours, or low for 7-8 hours. It’s ready when the potatoes have softened and are starting to fall apart.