Roasted Garlic Bread
If you are making this to go along with lasagna they can cook side by side. They will take the same amount of time, and cook at the same temperature. However, if your lasagna cooks at a slightly different temperature that’s fine, just adjust the amount of time the garlic is in the oven accordingly. Vegan whole grain bread isn’t as hard to find as it sounds. You can find at least one loaf if not several at your local healthy grocery store. In my part of California local bread makers, Acme and Alvarado Street both make wonderful vegan loaves.
Makes: 2 slices
Preparation time: 2m
Cooking time: 2m
Total time: 1h2m
- 2 slices vegan whole grain bread
- 1 garlic head
- dash paprika
Equipment: aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
- Hold the garlic with the pointy side up and slice off the tops of all of the cloves. Slice right through the paper so that a little bit of each clove is exposed. Leave the root end intact.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes. It is finished roasting when you can squeeze the sides and it is soft. Remove it from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- While it is cooling toast the bread.
- Unwrap the foil and use it to hold the garlic by the root end. Then holding it upside down squeeze it into a small bowl and all of the roasted garlic will come out like a paste.
- Mash it up then spread it on the toast. One head of garlic should have enough paste for 2 slices of toast. You can use a lot of garlic because roasting it changes the flavor and mellows it.
- Sprinkle with paprika and enjoy with your favorite vegan dish like INLINE-LINK-START title="Anne's E2 Lasagna" href="../../../recipes/anne-s-e2-lasagna" target="blank">Anne’s E2 Lasagna INLINE-LINK-END, INLINE-LINK-START title="Cauliflower Soup" href="../../../recipes/cauliflower-soup" target="blank">Cauliflower Soup INLINE-LINK-END, or INLINE-LINK-START title="Sweet Potato Leek Soup" href="../../../recipes/sweet-potato-leek-soup" target="_blank">Sweet Potato Leek Soup INLINE-LINK-END.