This recipe requires either a powerful blender or a food processor. I use a Vitamix. Be very careful using a regular blender, you could burn out the motor. You could even try using a stick blender if you have one. You just need something that will sufficiently mash the garbanzo beans.
Makes: 1 cup
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 5m
- 1 can garbanzo beans (drained but not rinsed, reserve the liquid)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (e.g. kosher salt)
Equipment: Vitamix or food processor
- Pour garbanzo beans and 2 tablespoons of the can liquid to the blender/food processor. Reserve the rest of the liquid, you might use it later. Each can of beans is a little different so you may need a little more liquid to get the right consistency. If you accidently threw the liquid out (like I often do on accident) just use water.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini, garlic and salt then puree on high until smooth. If using a regular blender, pulse the motor on and off to keep it from burning out.
- Test the mixture for consistency and taste it to see if it needs more salt. You want the consistency to be pretty thick, but thin enough to scoop it up with veggies or pita bread. Now is your chance to add more liquid if you think it needs it.
- Enjoy with sliced veggies like celery, zucchini, carrot or bell pepper.