Healthy Huevos Rancheros
You are probably wondering what is healthy about my huevos rancheros. Or perhaps you are wondering what’s not healthy about the original dish. There are several ways to make this Mexican classic, but mine has under 400 calories. It is loaded with fresh greens, nutrient-rich black beans and the fats are healthy fats from avocados, not oils and cheese. When buying corn tortillas make sure to get organic tortillas with only two ingredients: corn and water. Sometime they add a little lime juice, that is fine. Just make sure you stay away from any tortillas made with butter or oil, these have double the calories. If you like eggs more than avocado you can swap out the avocado and add an extra egg and tortilla to keep it under 400 calories. Or if you use 1/4 of an avocado, 2 eggs and 2 tortillas you are at about 410 calories
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 15m
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1/2 avocado (sliced)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup salsa (use your favorite oil-free salsa or see link below for my salsa recipe)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 cup hearty greens (arugula/chard/collard greens/kale/spinach/etc)
Equipment: small non-stick sauté pan
- Heat a small non-stick sauté pan over high and warm up the tortilla for about a minute on each side. Remove the tortilla and place it on a plate.
- Place the greens and avocado slices on top of the tortilla.
- Cook the egg however you like, fried over-easy, sunny-side up, poached or scrambled...it’s up to you. Then place the egg on top of the greens.
- Heat up the beans and salsa in the pan for about a minute, then pour them on top of the egg. (INLINE-LINK-START title="Mom's Salsa" href="../mom-s-salsa" target="_blank">Click here for my favorite salsa recipe INLINE-LINK-END).
- Top with fresh cilantro.