Garlic Lemon Quinoa with Artichokes and Asparagus
This recipe is full of healthy proteins and tasty veggies. You can eat it right away or chill and eat later. I love having different salads like this pre-made for quick easy lunches or evening snack.
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15m
Cooking time: 15m
Total time: 45m
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup dried green lentils
- 2 cups water, stock or bone broth (divided - note: if making this gluten-free or nightshade-free make sure to check the ingredients on your stock)
- 10 stems asparagus
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 - 2 cups cooked chicken (I like to use left-over roasted chicken)
- 8-10 artichoke hearts (drained and torn apart)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan Cheese)
- salt (to taste)
Equipment: 2 sauce pans, non-stick skillet, large bowl
- Simmer 1/2 cup quinoa in 1 cup of liquid (water, stock or bone broth) for about 20 minutes or until the water is all absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a separate saucepan simmer 1/4 cup green lentils in 1 cup of liquid (water, stock or bone broth) for about 30 minutes until they are softened through. Drain off the excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces. Then heat a non-stick skillet over medium high and add the butter. When the butter is melted add the asparagus and cook until the asparagus softens, about 10 minutes. Shake pan and gently toss/stir frequently the keep it from burning. Turn off heat, add garlic and salt.
- In a large bowl toss together the cooked quinoa, lentils and asparagus with the chicken (torn into bite-size pieces), artichoke hearts, and lemon juice. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving stir in the Pecorino cheese.