Easy Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp scampi is a very easy dish to make. It is simply shrimp sautéed in olive oil and garlic then steamed in wine. I’ve added a few personal touches (like lots of green things) to make it a healthier meal. I also like to serve this on pasta or rice. One thing to remember is that the dish takes on a lot of the characteristics of the wine that you use, so choose a wine you like to drink, then have a glass with dinner. Dry wines like chardonnays or dry vermouth work best. You can make this dish using shrimp with tails on or off. Tails-off is certainly easier to eat, but keep in mind that leaving the tails on adds a lot of flavor to the sauce. Special dietary restrictions: Gluten-free: serve with rice or gluten-free pasta (not regular pasta or bread) Paleo: serve with steamed veggies, (not rice, pasta or bread)
Makes: 2 servings
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 20m
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound large raw shrimp (cleaned and deveined, tails on)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or vermouth)
- 1-2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3-4 cups hearty greens (chard/collard greens/kale/spinach/etc)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 lemon
- prepared rice, pasta, or crusty bread (see notes above about dietary restrictions)
Equipment: skillet, large bowl
- If serving this dish with pasta or rice you will want to have that started already.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and oregano over medium heat until the garlic starts to brown (3-5minutes).
- Add the shrimp, then the wine and capers.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side them flip them over halfway through cooking to make sure both sides are evenly done.
- Once the shrimp are cooked through, remove them from the heat and add the chopped parsley.
- Place the greens in a large bowl then tip the entire contents of the skillet onto the greens. You want to use hearty greens that will stand up to the heat. I prefer a mixture of baby spinach, baby kale and baby chard.
- Toss the greens and shrimp together until well mixed then serve warm with pasta, rice, or crusty bread.