You can make this recipe one of two ways, either the labor intensive way of grating your own cabbage and carrot (it’s really not that bad) or the much quicker way: by buying the pre-shredded coleslaw mix. This is one of the few recipes where I actually prefer to buy part of it pre made. When buying mayonnaise for this recipe you don’t have to get vegan mayo, I just prefer it. However you should try to look for a mayo that is either organic, or made with olive oil or non-gmo canola. If you want to make your own vegan mayo see the link at the bottom of the page for instructions. If making this dish soy-free make sure to buy/make a soy-free mayo. Preparation time includes letting the onions steep for 20 minutes and the finished coleslaw chill for 30 minutes. Active time is only 10-20 minutes.
Makes: 6-8 servings
Preparation time: 1h
Cooking time: 1h
Total time: 1h
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cabbage (red or green)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 sweet apple (Gala, Golden Delicious, Braeburn)
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Equipment: small bowl, large bowl, box grater
- Place the minced onion into a small bowl with all of the vinegar. Make sure all of the onion is submerged in vinegar and let it sit for at least 20 minutes while you get the rest of the recipe ready.
- Slice the cabbage into thin slices or shred it on the large holes of a box grater. Place the cabbage into a large bowl. You should have about 4-5 cups of shredded cabbage.
- Peel and grate the carrots on the large holes of a box grater and add to the cabbage.
- Quarter the apple, discard the seeds and core and grate the quarters on the large holes of a box grater and add to the cabbage and carrot.
- Add the mayo, celery salt, mustard powder and salt to the cabbage mixture then top with the onion and vinegar. Toss until well mixed then let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill and let the flavors meld together.
- Toss again just before serving and use a slotted spoon to dish it up. The liquid will settle to the bottom of the bowl. You can either drain it off or just scoop from the top.
Instructions for makingINLINE-LINK-START title="Vegan Mayonnaise" href="../../../recipes/vegan-mayonnaise" target="_blank"> Vegan Mayonnaise INLINE-LINK-END.