Chicken Apple Quinoa with Toasted Almonds and Coconut
In an effort to have more quinoa in my life I’m working on some new recipes and summer salads are definitely on the menu. They are great to make ahead and have at the ready when you need a quick healthy snack or meal. And as the pregnant mom of a toddler I need quick and healthy! This recipe is full of fresh, healthy ingredient and the protein rich chicken, quinoa, and almonds. It will help fill you up and keep you going, whether you’re chasing a toddler, a deadline, or some other goal. If you don't have toasted coconut and almonds on hand (I always have some in an airtight jar in the cupboard because they’re delicious on pretty much everything) then you can quickly cook some up while the quinoa is simmering.
Makes: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15m
Cooking time: 15m
Total time: 45m
- 1/2 cup quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup green lentils
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds (slivered or sliced)
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut (unsweetened shredded coconut)
- 1 - 2 cups cooked chicken (I like to use left-over roasted chicken)
- 1 - 2 large carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 head romain lettuce (torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 cups water, stock or bone broth (divided - note: if making this gluten-free or nightshade-free make sure to check the ingredients on your stock)
Equipment: 2 saucepans, non-stick skillet, large bowl
- Simmer 1/2 cup quinoa in 1 cup of liquid (water, stock or bone broth) for about 20 minutes or until the water is all absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a separate saucepan simmer 1/4 cup green lentils in 1 cup of liquid (water, stock or bone broth) for about 30 minutes until they are softened through. Drain off the excess liquid.
- If you haven’t already done so, now is the time to toast the almonds and coconut. For more detailed instruction click ->How To Toast Coconut
- Meanwhile chop or shred the chicken, carrots, and apple into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, lentils, chicken, carrots, apple, and lemon juice. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving mix in the raisins and lettuce then top with toasted almonds and coconut.