Butternut Squash Quiche
This quiche takes some time to prepare but it is worth it. Each step is pretty basic and some can be done simultaneously. You can save time by buying pre-made pie crust in the frozen section of your local grocery store. This recipe can easily be made gluten-free simply by buying a gluten-free pie crust.
Makes: 1 9" quiche (6-8 servings depending on how you slice it)
Preparation time: 20m
Cooking time: 20m
Total time: 1h30m
- 1 red onion
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 9" whole wheat pie crust (or gluten-free pie crust)
- 6 cups chard (1 bunch )
- 6 organic eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened organic soy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (e.g. kosher salt)
Equipment: large saucepan, vegetable peeler, roasting dish/baking sheet, large bowl, small bowl
- Preheat oven to 450ºF/230ºC.
- Peel and dice the red onion then, in a large sauce pan, caramelize it in a little bit of olive oil over medium/medium-low heat for 20 minutes covered, then 20 minutes uncovered. Pour into a large bowl and set aside. For more detailed instructions on how to chop and caramelize onions click here.
- While the onion is cooking peel the butternut squash, discard the seeds and stem, then dice it into bite-sized pieces and roast it at 450ºF/230ºC for 30 minutes. When it is done you should be able to easily pierce the pieces with a fork. Remove it from the oven and add it to the onions in the large bowl. For more detailed instructions on how to prepare the squash click here.
- Once you take the squash out of the oven reduce the oven heat to 350ºF/177ºC. Prick the bottom of the pie crust with a fork then pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and turn the temperature up to 425ºF/218ºC.
- Chop the chard into 2” pieces and place them into the large saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon of water, cover and cook over medium heat until the chard is wilted (about 3 minutes). Place the chard in a strainer and squeeze out the excess liquid. The chard cooks down to about 1/2 - 3/4cup.
- In a large bowl mix together the caramelized onion, roasted squash and cooked chard. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Crack all six eggs into a small bowl, add the soy milk, salt and pepper and whisk them together. Then pour the egg mixture into the large bowl and gently stir it into the onion, squash and chard. Then pour the entire mixture into the prepared pie crust. Carefully place into the 425ºF/218ºC oven for 30 minutes until cooked through. Remove and let cool a few minutes before slicing. Enjoy right away or keep it in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat from the refridgerator just put it into a 350ºF/177ºC oven on a baking sheet for 15-20minutes until heated through.