Almond Chicken with Veggies au Jus
The title says it all. This is a flavorful, vegetable, chicken and almond stew that is served in its own juices. It can be served all year and is great for cold winter nights when you want something hearty but healthy. Likewise it’s light enough to be enjoyed spring or summer with a nice dry white wine. If you do not have a rutabaga you can use a potato instead.
Makes: 2 servings
Preparation time: 10m
Cooking time: 10m
Total time: 35m
- 2 shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 pound rutabaga
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large zucchini
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 2-3" pieces )
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups hearty greens (arugula/chard/collard greens/kale/spinach/etc)
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Equipment: large saucepan with lid
- Wash the mushrooms by placing them in a bowl full of water and letting all of the dirt fall to the bottom of the bowl. Then scoop the mushrooms from the top of the water, dry thoroughly with paper towels and slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash, peel and dice the rutabaga and carrot. Wash and dice the zucchini.
- Heat the almond oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the mushrooms, rutabaga, carrot and zucchini for 3-5 minutes. Stir frequently to keep them from burning.
- Stir in the stock, almonds, oregano and chicken. Cover and simmer until the rutabaga is tender and the chicken is cooked through (10-15 minutes).
- Just before serving, stir in the greens and divide between two plates.