I was standing in the kitchen with my fiancé's best friend, Øyvind, when he asked if he could have a bowl of cereal. I said, “I don’t mind, but unfortunately we are out of cereal”. Looking skeptically at me he reached up and grabbed the container of oatmeal and said, “Sure you do, it’s right here”. He proceeded to mix dry rolled oats, nuts, seeds and dried fruit in a bowl. Then he poured milk on top and began to eat it. I asked if he wanted it cooked and he just looked at me quizzically as if silently questioning why I would ever cook oatmeal. I realized that this is the perfect way to enjoy nutritious, wholesome oatmeal during those warm summer months when you do not want something hot for breakfast. Not to mention the mixture of nuts, seeds and dried fruit is much healthier than all of the processed oils and sugars in regular cereals.
Makes: 1 serving
Preparation time: 5m
Cooking time: 5m
Total time: 5m
- 1/2 - 1 cup unsweetened milk substitute (organic soy, almond, coconut, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon nuts (slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, pistachios, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon dried fruit (raisins, cherries, apricots, etc.)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats (or regular rolled oats if not making GF)
- Add the rolled oats, nuts seeds and dried fruit to a cereal bowl.
- Pour milk on top and breakfast is served! You can use as much milk as you like, I tend to use a whole cup, but I like lots of liquid to cereal ratio.